In case you hadn’t noticed, we’ve been attacked by Thargoids – the alien insect race with bio-mechanical spacecraft – who’ve been probing us, building planet bases and destroying ships around the Pleiades sector for months.
Now, they’ve gone a step further and attacked three stations
- Oracle station in Pleiades Sector IR-W D1-55
- Titan’s Daughter in Taygeta
- Liman Legacy in HIP 16753
The stations are in a bit of a state.
Frontier released a video (sadly on YouTube and not in the game) which shows news reports and panic as people on the stations are needing to be evacuated. It’s a cool video and sets up the atmosphere of a system under attack.
So what can you do?
Not many commanders have the money or resources to pimp out a full anti-xeno ship (although CMDR Gluttony Fang has written an excellent post on the forums on how to do exactly this) which means your war-effort must be offered in other ways.
Rescuing the poor people on these stations and ferrying them to the rescue ships is something non-combat commanders can do. You will need to equip your ship first.
- Heat-sinks - the damaged stations are very hot because of fires and the failure of the heat dispersal systems.
- Passenger cabins - economy class cabins of any size! Store those cargo racks and armour, then fit some rescue seats!
- A fuel scoop - it's a long trip from the bubble and you're not going to help anyone if you run out of fuel and need rescuing yourself.
With your ship fitted out, you'll need to jump down to the Pleiades Sector IR-W D1-55 system (which is the nearest to the bubble). You can see all the stations damaged or under repair in the galaxy map. Go to the last TAB and look at the bottom of the list. Frontier have sneakily added two new options, "Show Damaged Starports" and "Show Repairing Starports".
I suspect we're going to see a lot of these on our galaxy map SoonTM. Why?
Big bad just got bigger
CMDR CookieJarviz posted this image of the newly encountered "Medusa" class Thargoid ship (Threat level 7). Walk away. Slowly...
CMDR Alan Marchman posted an amazing photo of one on Reddit. Needless to say, you don't want to get THAT close!
Fly safe out there commanders, because we're not alone!