Releases and platforms
- Horizons will be released as a BETA on the PC week ending May 8th (so any time that week).
- The full update for both the core game and Horizons will ship in June.
- Horizons will be released for the first time on XBOX One in June with or shortly after the PC release.
For details of the Horizons content click here
Elite: Dangerous 1.6
- Named bookmarks. Select a system and pick a name.
- Filter for political states of systems. War, Boom, Bust etc.
- Visual effects for weapons fire now scale with the class of weapon. Bigger gun = bigger flash.
- Improved graphical fidelity of asteroids in rocky and icy rings.
More weapons in larger classes
- Large multi-cannon (Class 3).
- Huge multi-cannon (Class 4).
- Huge beam laser (Class 4), which fires four beams in rapid cycle.
- Huge pulse-laser (Class 4).
- Missiles are getting a small increase in shield damage and splash damage (which damages modules and hard-points).
- Missiles do not penetrate hull, so unless you target Power Generator, they will disable a ship rather than destroy it.
- Missile guidance has been improved.
- Improvements to skill level.
- Security ramming fixed.
- "Roll of death" fixed.
- Higher security systems now have stronger security response.
- NPCs can use Engineers modified weapons.
- NPCs will no longer keep approaching you about a mission.
- Missions are now affected by a system’s political state. i.e. war would generate weapons smuggling and assassination missions.
- Completing missions will build reputation with minor factions and will introduce you to higher people with that faction.
- Minor factions will now be represented by individuals with avatars.
- Pilot federation rank will determine who you deal with in a faction and how they behave towards you. Your reputation also influences who you deal with.
- Navy missions for Federation and Empire are being overhauled.
- Your reputation with a faction will be visible on the mission board.
- Criminal factions will offer more illegal missions than other factions, but all factions will offer some illegal missions.
- Difficulty and rewards for missions are affected by the CMDR’s rank. New players won’t be asked to assassinate an Elite Anaconda.
- Mission rewards won’t just be credits. In Horizons, you may receive materials needed for Engineer modifications. Other rewards are not yet revealed.
- Missions follow a new set of templates for 1.6/2.1 with branching and multi-part missions. This affects Naval Ascension missions as well.
- Mission branches will affect rewards. Mission timers may change on different mission branches and time may affect reward.
- A new rank of "cordial" has been added between Neutral and Friendly for factions.
- Missions may be given out in space by a faction representative.
- Mission brief will list any equipment required, such as interdictor or scanner.
- Ships can now scan Nav beacons to get system map without a discovery scanner.
- Exploration data obtained in this way from Nav beacons cannot be sold.
- Unidentified Signal Sources are being changed.
- Nav beacons contact information on locations of salvage and other signal sources to assist missions.
- There is a new approach mechanic for Points of Interest.
- A more graphical tiered interface.
- Statistics on each module.
- Stations now have a traffic controller who hails incoming ships.
- Each commander is addressed uniquely by the ship manufacturer and first three letters of their CMDR name. e.g. "Lakon Alpha Romeo India you have permission to dock"
- Hostile commanders will be warned that they will be fired upon.
- The voices used by stations vary around the galaxy.
- The communications inbox is used more. Mission related messages will appear in your inbox in super-cruise as well as normal space.
- New commanders will be given a welcome mission in their inbox. This is optional.
- Thruster upgrades for Class 2 and 3 thrusters.
- This makes smaller ships faster.
- These will cost "in the low millions".
- Ice rings can now be mined.
- There will be ice mining missions.
- Ice rings contain new materials – some of which will be needed for Engineers